Monterey, Calif. (21 Sept 2002) -
Another year, another struggle for the Champion Audi S4
team coming to grips with the legendary Laguna Seca track. Throughout
practice and qualifying for Sunday's SPEED GT race, the S4 crew and
drivers have done their utmost to find sufficient grip to push the
Quattro's further toward the front.
Perhaps the brightest spot of the weekend has been the superb showing from
Paul Edwards, who is driving the third Champion S4 by arrangement with
North America. Paul had zero tin top experience before coming aboard just
ago, and due to lack of funds had not even driven in competition in the
Edwards admitted to having trouble in his first day with the S4, during
World Challenge testing, putting his #3 Audi into the gravel traps on
occasions. But Friday practice saw him shoot straight up to second fastest
of the early session, behind sportscar ace Randy Pobst, proving that Audi
confidence in him was well-placed indeed.
Defending SPEED GT Drivers' Champion, Michael Galati, was fairly
in the top three during practice, and in Saturday's twenty-minute
he put his #1 Audi third on the starting grid for Sunday's 26-lap race.
in qualifying Edwards impressed, taking the sixth starting position. Derek
driving the SPEED Legends of Motorsport #2 Audi qualified eleventh.
Top Times from Laguna Seca SPEED GT Qualifying:
1. (42), Peter Cunningham, W. Bend, Wis., Acura NSX SC, 1:38.188,
2. (81), Johannes van Overbeek, Danville, Calif., Porsche 911 Cup,
3. (1), Michael Galati, N. Olmstead, Ohio,
Audi S4 Comp., 1:38.503, 81.792
4. (22), Randy Pobst, Gainesville, Ga., Porsche 911 Cup, 1:38.669, 81.654
5. (80), Justin Marks, Woodside, Calif., Porsche 911 Cup, 1:38.720, 81.612
6. (3), Paul Edwards(R), Santa Maria, Calif.,
Audi S4 Comp., 1:38.780, 81.563
11. (2), Derek Bell, Pagham, England, Audi S4
Comp., 1:39.205, 81